Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Earth Day Confessions


Something new comes out everyday about dangerous chemicals or how we aren't being good stewards of the environment. I have to remind myself that I can do a lot but that I can NOT do it all. We use compact flourescent light bulbs and set the thermostat to 78 (even though most people around here do 80). Emory wears hand-me-downs or consignment clothes. We are even going to a park cleanup this afternoon. However, here is my list of confessions.
1. Eric & I eat A LOT of packaged food. I could (and sometimes do) eat a Lean Cuisine pizza everyday. However, Emory's food is about 90% homemade and locally grown organic.
2. We still use disposable diapers. I'm trying cloth, but haven't fully transitioned and might not ever. (It still takes a lot of water and energy to wash them.)
3. I drive a Jeep and I love it.
4. We still use "bad" plastics with Emory. I'm just more careful about heating them and will buy BPA free as they need to be replaced.
5. I switched to chemical free baby skin care products, except sunscreen. Waterbabies is SPF 50 and we live in the desert.
6. I only remember my reusable shopping bags about 50% of the time.
7. The worst... We don't recycle. There isn't a recycling center for our part of town that I can find.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Is that a cloth diaper on her bum?? I hear ya-we all have to what we can, and sometimes the whole "green" lifestyle is overwhelming!

natasha-nolan said...

More power to ya girlie!! I am so proud of you for making her food and even attempting to use cloth diapers. Cloth diapers are not possible in my house because little man is way too much of a stinker roo!!!