Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Sleeping and civics lessons.


Is it okay that Emory sleeps from 7pm to 10:30am? I'm not complaining, I would NEVER complain that my child sleeps too much. I'm just questioning. She has moved to one 2 1/2 to 3 hour nap a day and is sleeping 15 hours at night. I would LOVE feedback! Is this okay or should I wake her up? My general opinion is that if she's sleepy then she should sleep and I've NEVER woken her up unless I had to in order to be on time for something. She has always been a good sleeper, I know, I'm doomed for baby #2 (if and when there is a baby #2), but this is getting crazy. She has been known to sleep from 7 or 8pm until around 10am from time to time, however, never everyday for two weeks. Is this because she was so sick last week?
I took Emory for her first lesson in politics today. This is not intended to start any arguments, I'm just telling what we did today. I signed up to volunteer for the local Democratic Party. This afternoon we spent two hours calling people to make sure that they got an application to vote by mail. I'm not comfortable pushing my beliefs on others so I felt like this was a task that is important for everyone, no matter their affiliation. I feel very lucky that I was taught to think for myself and to participate in government. I hope to teach Emory to think for herself and to vote for the person she feels is best for that position. I want to teach her that she has the power to influence the world around her. Nothing bothers me more than a person who doesn't know who or what they are voting for. All I'm going to say is don't let someone else tell you who to vote for, EDUCATE yourself. Do not just vote for who your parents/spouse/minister/friends tell you is best. It is perfectly fine to disagree with loved ones. Visit these websites and read their platforms, however, don't stop there, find out about your local candidates and propositions because those are the people and issues that have a great impact on your day to day life. Nationally, I'm a democrat, however, I like Sheriff Joe here in Maricopa county. Okay, I'm climbing off my soapbox now. :)

4 comments:

Arda said...

love you're "educate yourself" philosophy. We have an election campaign going on here too, and all too often people make uninformed decisions for various. I have no doubt Emory will grow up knowing how to make an informed decision.

As for the sleeping, my guess would be its illness related and she's just building back her energy. I've heard some of my mommy-friends mention that their little ones sleep more during or immediately after a growing spurt as well. Enjoy it while it lasts you lucky girl :)

rebecca said...

I say she's just like her MAMA! For real, though, I think the extra sleep is illness related like Angela said.
As for the politics ~ good for you teaching Mimi early on the importance of civics! And...you know where I stand.

Kembree said...

Emory is so cute! I"m glad you left me a message so I can keep up with your blog :)

natasha-nolan said...

WOW!! She is quite the sleeper! Probably just a combination of catching up on sleep and maybe even a growth spurt!

Love the pink picnic table set by the way!!