Sunday, July 6, 2008

International Superstar

What a lucky little girl! Emory got her first passport stamp before her first birthday. (The same day that I got my first stamp as well.) However, customs agents aren't very happy when you try to take pictures to document the occasion.
I was a little nervous about our trip because Emory woke up Friday morning with her first ear infection. Her pediatrician is wonderful! I actually talked to HIM on the phone, he fit us in that afternoon and personally called me because we forgot to reschedule. He also accepted my paranoia that we were leaving the country and Emory had never had amoxicillin, what if she's allergic?. He agreed to zithromax which has a lower chance of allergic reactions. I know, I'm crazy but the child is allergic to sunscreen and we were flying 2600 miles away.

Needless to say, I was not looking forward to flying on Saturday. All I can say is that Emory is a trooper! It wasn't her best flight but I expected a whole lot worse. She was so excited and ready to burn up some energy by the time we got to the hotel.
Keep in mind that there is a three hour time difference between home and Montreal. Apparently babies don't suffer from jet lag the way that adults do. She didn't mind waking up "early" Sunday morning so that we could go to the farmer's market. I'm jealous! That place is AMAZING! I never realized how bad our produce is in the desert. All of the vendors gave samples and all I can say is YUMMY!
We went to see Marshall's apartment on Monday. His neighborhood is so unique. All the apartments have exterior staircases to save space on the inside. The streets look like something out of the movies, all the beautiful iron staircases and window boxes full of colorful flowers everywhere. It would be a lot of fun to have actual butcher shops, bakeries and pastry shops just down the block. They sure have good food figured out. That evening we went to the Old Port for dinner and sightseeing. Marshall and his "friend" Angela :) were great tour guides.
All great tour guides need a break every now and then, however. Keith, Bethany, Eric and I left Emory and Merrin with Grammy and Uncle Marshall on Tuesday afternoon so that we could take a bus tour of the city. We had a very relaxing afternoon getting to see it all from the air conditioned bus.
I think everything started to catch up with Emory by Tuesday night/ Wednesday morning because she had a HORRIBLE night. Therefore, we took it easy Wednesday and didn't do too much. However, Grammy agreed to keep the little ones again so that we could go to a nice dinner with the "grown-ups" (i.e. Marshall, Angela, Keith and Bethany). I had the best steak, it was so tender (and huge)! I made a very happy plate. ;)
Keith, Bethany and Merrin had to leave Thursday morning. I'm so glad that Emory and Merrin had a chance to play together now that they are old enough to enjoy each other. We took the day pretty easy and did some souvenir shopping and swimming at the hotel. Emory had her first enchilada for dinner on Thursday evening. She REALLY liked it, she ate half of one before I realized that we could have a dangerous situation on the plane the next morning. (No scary diapers to report.)
Speaking of the flight home, it couldn't have gone better. The first flight was only half full so Emory got her own seat. The flight attendant was incredibly friendly and a big fan of babies. However, the second leg wasn't quite as nice as the first (full and unfriendly flight attendants) but Emory did well. Emory got a second wind when we got to the airport. Is it a bad sign that she recognizes where she is when we get to the airport? I guess that's what happens when you are an "International Superstar" before your first birthday. Emory has now been on four plane trips, a subway and a train and traveled to seven states and another country, as well as lived in two houses (see previous post). SHE'S ONLY 10 MONTHS OLD!!! What a lucky little girl. Anyway, we had a wonderful trip, thank you Grammy and Uncle Marshall. For those of you who want to see them, there are more pictures. Check out Bethany's pictures, she's much better with a camera than I am.


I'll leave you with the French version of the SATC movie poster from the Metro station.



5 comments:

Arda said...

Glad to hear everyone had a great time... it was wonderful meeting y'all ;)

rebecca said...

I'm glad you had such a good time. These little ones are going to be big time travelers!

Courtney said...

Happy Belated Anniversary!! It just hit me that mine is next week-ha ha!
I am loving your little doodle bug! Such a cutie!

Anna said...

I'm happy you had a good time, but I'm more happy you are home. I've had no one to talk to during naptime:( Give Em-bug a smooch for me.

natasha-nolan said...

Sounds like you all had a wonderful time!! I am so proud of you for braving international travel!! Let me know when you are up for a trip to NC :)