Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day 2010

Happy Earth Day 2010! Every year I try to make little changes in our everyday lives to be more environmentally friendly. I have to say that most of the changes that have been made recently have been because of Emory's allergies or for financial reasons. I guess it doesn't matter why you make changes, as long as you make them. Here is the good, the bad, and my goals for this year. If I put everything in writing, I'll have something to hold me accountable. I'm always open to tips and suggestions so feel free to share.

First, let me start off with the good.
1. Vinegar has many uses. We use it for everything from dishwasher rinse aid to weed killer in the yard (must use with caution-talk to me before you try this). At $1.50 a gallon it is always worth a try when you hear of a new use for it. I'm finding that it really does work for most things.
2. Seventh Generation diapers and training pants are the only disposable diapers that we can use for BBG, cloth still works the best on her extra sensitive skin but that is a large investment at this stage in her diaper wearing life and who knows what will happen with LBG.
3. Emory is turning into a mini-me. She loves to do what Eric and I do including taking her own reusable shopping bag to the store. She loves to throw stuff away and always asks if it goes in the trash or recycling.
4. We recently replaced the old BPA baby bottles for new safer plastic bottles for LBG.
5. We love hand me downs, craigslist, consignment stores and ebay.

The bad.
1. I still love my Jeep. I'm open to the suggestion of a hybrid sedan as my next vehicle, but for now, I'm happy with the Grand Cherokee.
2. I love my air conditioning. We live in the desert and I'm pregnant and I get hot, enough said.
3. I know there is more that I could do like be better about turning off the lights, taking shorter showers and unplugging things when they aren't in use. Our TV seems to be on at all times.

Now for my goals.
1. Pay more attention to what is in the products we use. This website is fascinating.
2. Cut way back on using paper towels and napkins.
3. I want to try the one can a month challenge. I don't know how this will work with two in diapers, we'll see what happens.

No comments: