I love Emory's new allergist. After a ridiculous number of positives on the pediatrician's environmental allergy test, we decided to see a specialist to do her food testing. We did a skin test today and will have a blood test done tomorrow. We won't have the blood test results for about a month, but according to the skin test, she definitely has some food allergies. She tested positive for peaches, carrots, apples, potatoes, corn, chicken, beef, tree nuts, milk and egg whites. However, the doctor is most concerned about her reaction to peaches, carrots, and tree nuts. She said to remove them from her diet and to closely watch the others. I'm surprised about a few (milk, chicken, beef) and not at all surprised about others (peaches and carrots). We are to carry her Epipen at all times and watch her closely as she tries new foods. I have to say that I'm happy we did the test and can do something to make her feel better. I'm also very happy that most of these things are easily avoidable. The doctor also said that most kids outgrow their food allergies by age 5 or 6. I was so nervous about this test that I haven't slept very well this week. I was worried that either she would be allergic to everything or nothing. At least now we know and can do something to make her feel better.
5 comments:
Love the picture of Emory! So glad you found a good doctor and that you finally have some answers. Give Mimi a big kiss from Merrin!
Poor Mimi. Love her pigtails. Give her a kiss from us, too.
Poor little Emory :( She can just pig out on Mexican food and stay away from all that healthy garbage!
Take care!
Thank goodness for answers about which foods to avoid. Bless her heart and yours, too!!! Hopefully she will outgrow her allergies~we'll keep saying prayers for her :)
WOW - that's quite the list... poor thing! Your doctor is right though... I had just as many allergies as a young child (including ice cream and yogurt!), but outgrew them by the time I was in kindergarten. I hope for all of you that Emmy follows the same pattern. Big hug for the itchy-blothcy girl :)
Post a Comment